Time traveling heroines who are badass — that’s my new favorite thing to read. Books about women who time travel to go on a quest, to rescue someone — or the world — or to right a (literaryor real-life) wrong? What about women who have adventure, rather than love, on their minds. This is the first of my 10 Time Traveling Heroines lists. Look for another in 2020! And write to me with suggestions.
Time Traveling Badass Women
- Doomsday, Connie Wills. A crisis linking past and future strand a cell phone toting scientist in a bygone age as her fellows try desperately to rescue her.
- The Jane Austen Project, Kathleen A. Flynn. Two archaeologists from the future go back in time to meet Jane and recover a suspected unpublished novel,
- The Scribe of Siena, Melodie Winawer. An intrepid neurosurgeon travels into th epast to discover the sources of the medieval Plague.
- Shadow of Night, Deborah Harkness. A time traveling witch meets Shakespeare and his circle.
- This Is How You Lose the Time War, Amal El-Mohtar & Max Gladstone. Two time-traveling agents from warring futures, working their way through the past, begin to exchange letters—and fall in love.
- Overseas, Beatriz Wiliams. A soldier in WWI is baffled by a young woman he’s never met who has information about his reconaissance mission.
- Time After Time, Lisa Grunwald. With two decades between their lives, Nora and Joe find a meeting ground in the one place they can both exist, New York City’s Grand Central Station.
- The Psychology of Time Travel, Kate Mascarenhas. Young Ruby Rebello knows her beloved grandmother was one of the pioneers of time travel, which is now common. A mysterious newspaper clipping from the future reporting the murder of an unidentified woman sends Ruby on a quest to find out if the victim was her grandmother, and can her murder be stopped?
- Alice Payne Arrives, Kate Heartfield. She’s a time traveling thief known in the 1700s as the Holy Ghost, who arrives in 2020 to change the course of a war that’s been raging for decades. Time is their battleground, the world their prize, and only someone new can change the course of the war. Little do they know, they’ve all been waiting until Alice Payne arrives.
- The Renaissance Club, Rachel Dacus. More than a love story, a 17th century artist meets his superfan from the 21st century. Can May Gold and Gianlorenzo Bernini each find a way to give the other a better future? (You didn’t think I’d leave out my time traveling badass heroine May Gold, did you?)
More Time Travel Novels Featuring Strong Women