These are some articles with tips on writing and publishing fiction. These are mainstays I’ve gathered over the last few years. I hope you’ll write to me with additions, #writingcommunity!
Writing Craft Tips
Here are my mainstay articles.
- Best 5 writing podcasts (out-of-1000s)
- What makes a great first page in a novel
- Surviving NaNoWriMo 50K Words in 30 Days — Yes, You Can!
- Poetry’s Consoling Power in These Uncertain Times
- Tips on writing a blurb for your book
- DIY Writing Retreats, or StayWriCations
- Squeezing into a Box — Fitting Into a Fiction Category
- Going Indie? How to Navigate Self-Publishing
Publishing & Marketing
My favorite sites on indie publishing and book marketing. Please write to me with suggestions for this section!
- Have More Fun Writing – Jane Friedman
- Jane Friedman – Writing & Publishing in the Digital Age
- Jane Friedman — There Are Only Two Types of Stories
- Which Publishing Path Is Right for You and Your Book?
- Women’s Fiction & Why It Isn’t Romance Fiction – This Happened to Me Too!
- Writer Unboxed
- Writers Helping Writers
- Bookbub – 119 Book Marketing Ideas
- Joanna Penn’s Book Marketing with Visual Content
- Reedsy – articles on book marketing
Women’s Fiction Writers Association, a volunteer-run nonprofit organization, is dedicated to the community of career-focused writers who create stories about a woman’s emotional journey. They have Facebook pages for members. A group as engaging as a never-ending writer’s retreat. If you’re writing women’s fiction, look into joining them. You’ll find so much support, community, and craft and publishing tips, and lots more.
My debut novel, The Renaissance Club